Pattyrflg's Reviews > The Skull Beneath the Skin

U 50x66
Feb 28, 2011

liked it
Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This is the 2nd P.D. James novel I've listened to with Cordelia Gray as the protagonist. Cordelia is hired to protect the actress Clarissa Lile during a weekend on Corsi island. Cordelia needs the job, but does not particularly like Clarissa of the way she treats her friends and family. Cordelia has to set her personal feelings aside in order to stick with the job. Ms. Lile is found murdered in her bed just prior to her scheduled performance in a play at the restored Victorian theater on the island. It appears she was beaten to death with a marble arm. Clarissa's husband, cousin, step-son, 2 old friends and even Cordelia are suspects. Feeling guilty for not protecting her client, Cordelia sets out to discover who is the murderer. In the end you find out who killed Clarissa and why. The attempted murder of Cordelia is not wrapped up at the end or maybe it is just that I can't accept the outcome.

This was a rather long book because you get a lot of insight into each potential murderer before the deed. I enjoyed the first Cordelia Gray book, but I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Skull Beneath the Skin.