Linda Banche's Reviews > Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and an Officer

Darcy and Fitzwilliam by Karen V. Wasylowski

Feb 28, 11

I own a copy

Laugh until your sides ache and then laugh some more with Karen V. Wasylowski's delicious DARCY AND FITZWILLIAM: A TALE OF A GENTLEMAN AND AN OFFICER. This absorbing, fast-moving romp of a book catalogs the often hilarious ups and downs in the enduring affectionate friendship of those brothers-in-spirit, cousins Fitzwilliam Darcy and Colonel Richard Fitzwilliam.

Darcy and Elizabeth have married, but nothing comes between the lifelong regard of Darcy and Fitzwilliam. Each always there to help the other, they weather life's catastrophes together with male camaraderie, competition and not a little joking.

As Caroline Bingley attempts yet again to come between Darcy and the now-pregnant Elizabeth, Fitzwilliam lends a hand in removing the threat of the viperish lady, assisted by none other than the formidable Lady Catherine de Bourgh herself.

And when Fitzwilliam finally meets his match in the American widow, Amanda, Darcy, along with Lady Catherine again, aids in securing the lady's son from the boy's guardian, who seeks to separate the child from his mother. And everyone closes ranks to help Elizabeth through the difficulties of childbirth.

I read this entire 481 page book in one day, laughing all the way. Ms. Wasylowski has a good ear for realistic male banter, most of it uproariously funny. The best two lines in the whole novel occur when Darcy and Fitzwilliam reminisce about their youth and the hilariously disgusting things young boys do to each other. I still laugh when I think of those lines.

A truly wonderful and original take on PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. I can't wait for Ms. Wasylowski's next book.

ARC supplied by Sourcebooks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darcy and Fitzwilliam.