Kathy Petersen's Reviews > Shroud for a Nightingale

Shroud for a Nightingale by P.D. James

Mar 11, 2011

bookshelves: x-feb-11-thru-jan-12, z-read-p-d-james, read-mysteries
Read on March 09, 2011

This one is my favorite so far. I'm reading the Dalgliesh books in their chronological order, and each one gets better. The "nightingale" is a nurse, not a singer as I presumed from the title.

The depiction of the nursing school/hospital makes it seem old-fashioned, out of date even; but, counting my blessings, I'm not that familiar with such institutions. The large cast of characters—and suspects—calls for a reader's attention, an exercise well worth the effort partly because the story is quite complicated but also because James writes so well. As usual, I found the denouement a wee bit contrived but ultimately sufficiently satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shroud for a Nightingale.

Kathy  Petersen JonSnow wrote: "Is it mandatory to read these in order? because I have book 12 and this one, book 4... with no intention of buying any more because I have way too many books (around 1,000+), many of which I haven'..."

I don't think it's necessary to read these books in order. That was just a project I set upon myself. Some series do require chronological exploration, which I enjoy; but with others, like Travis McGee and Dalgliesh himself, need no such framework. Incidentally I get most of my detective books from the wonderful public library, and few of my literally thousands of owned books are mysteries.