Matthew's Reviews > The Sociopath Next Door

The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout

Feb 10, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction

If given the opportunity to read a text about sociopathy and its prevalence, don't bother reading Stout's work. Instead, read "Without Conscience" by the psychologist Hare. Hare's work on sociopathy is notable in the field, and after reading it, you will be shocked to notice that entire sections of "The Sociopath Next Door" appear to be lifted from "Without Conscience," slightly reworded, and placed into the text. "The Sociopath Next Door" is still an interesting book, but it is at best a 'see spot run' version of Hare's only slightly longer book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sociopath Next Door.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Betsy thank you for your insitful review. I picked this book up to read because of a family member.. it opened alot of questions.. helped answer a few and certainly cemeneted a position that she is one. I will read "Without Conscience" and appreicate you bringing it to our attention. For those of us looking for answers it did perk alot of discussion amongst our family.

Aibon Natzke You right

Elizabeth let us not forget the 2 books are describing the same thing...apparently there is a consensus!