Ruth Seeley's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Mar 04, 11

Read from February 28 to March 04, 2011

All these years I've been wondering where our important contemporary writers are, and here Lionel Shriver's been all along. Her ability to create and maintain plausible characters amazes me. Her willingness to experiment with form, her fearless tackling of subject matter - and in this one, her uncanny knack of revealing the main event at the beginning of the book while still holding enough back to create suspense and a knock-out ending - wow. I'm about to embark on a 'give me everything this woman has ever written so I can inhale it' binge.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Stanland Ooohhhh this is a good one. Let me know what you think.

message 2: by Ruth (last edited Mar 02, 2011 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth Seeley Loving it so far - have always loved the idea of using epistolary form in novels - had never thought of using one-way episotolary form though. I think I'm about to embark on a total 'read everything this woman has ever written' binge. This is what I look for in an author - someone who's not afraid to take chances, someone who wants to try something new with each and every book.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Stanland Had to look up the word epistolary. LOL. I have loved the use of letters in writing since reading plays and novels in high school. Yes, that would be a long time ago. I also liked Julie & Julia for the use of emails. I read Shriver's other novel The Post-Birthday World, and I really enjoyed it but it didn't have the same punch. I found the subject matter in We Need to Talk About Kevin was challenging to match. Don't you just love finding an author's works that you just want to inhale? I want to read Angie Abdou's The Canterbury (sp?) Trail next. Happy reading! xo Ann

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Smith I agree. Great narrative, cleverly told. Brilliant!

Brian Thank you. Based on the title, I never would have looked at this twice without your review. What an amazing book!