Lindsey Myers's Reviews > The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company That Is Connecting the World

The Facebook Effect by David Kirkpatrick

Mar 06, 11

Read from February 28 to March 06, 2011

Though it does definitely have a bias towards Mark Zuckerberg (almost reminiscent of a father talking about his son), it is rather interesting to learn what went on behind the scenes. Since I started college in 2005 and essentially "grew up" with Facebook, I can remember each new feature added and my own response to it. I actually do remember waiting for my first college, Carlow, to be added to the list of member schools. I remember when the introduction of the News Feed caused a stir on campus and prompted many to go through and delete many of the Feeds. I remember each new update, because it usually affected mine or my friends' lives in one way or another.

As I have been reading, I have been noticing more about how Facebook is used by other generations. I talked to some high school juniors today about the News Feed, and they were shocked that it was so unpopular when it first debuted. "I LOVE the News Feed!" One boy exclaimed. And I have to agree with him. The News Feed is the best way to keep in touch with friends' activities, and even to learn of new things going on in the world.

Overall, then, I would recommend this book to anyone in my generation who enjoys using Facebook and wants to learn more about the company. I do plan on reading other books on the founders, to get another point of view. I also have not seen the film yet, although I have heard that it is rather inaccurate. But, definitely grab this book about one of the world's most important inventions, in my humble opinion.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Facebook Effect.