Talya's Reviews > Heaven and Earth

Heaven and Earth by Nora Roberts

Feb 03, 14

bookshelves: contemp-romance, paranormal-fantasy
Read from February 28 to March 06, 2011

** spoiler alert ** While reading Nell's story, book 1 of 3 Sisters Island Trilogy Dance Upon the Air, I found Ripley's character too prickly and rude. So I was preparing for that when I started Ripley's story Heaven and Earth book 2.

I enojoyed it for the most part. I really enjoy Nora's romantic hero type of the intellectual clutzy geek who happens to be hot and built (go figure) and manages to make glasses and brains sexy, and that's what we have with MacAllister Booke.
Mac is a really great romantic hero and he made the lead heroine Ripley a lot more bearable and understandable. His steadiness and patience balanced out her temper and impatience. They also had very good chemistry that jumped off the page.

I did enjoy the witchcraft aspect as I did in Book 1, it was really cool to read about Ripley's experience as she was the complete opposite of Nell. Ripley was a very experienced and powerful witch (with cool tricks) who was afraid of embracing her power, while Nell was a newbie (little sister) and totally wanted to embrace and take it all in. Seeing the character growth of Ripley and Nell along with the growth in their relationships with Mia was really sweet.

What threw me off and held me from giving this one a higher rating (other than the not-so likeable Ripley qualities) was the evil aspect of the book. It was confusing. I mean, was Nell's ex-husband Evan a demon? What was actually possessing the reporter Jonathan? That and trying to picture when Ripley went back and forth between worlds threw me for a bit of a loop and lost me a bit. A shame cause the magic and danger elements I did pick up on were really engaging and cool.

Overall a good read and classic Nora.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven and Earth.