Steve's Reviews > The Dog of the South

The Dog of the South by Charles Portis

Feb 28, 11

Read in February, 2011

Portis, best known for "True Grit", is often referred to as "an under appreciated genius" and compared to Twain.

He is OK, this '70's book is a bit dated. And honestly, more than a bit of a mish mash. If you like Vonnegut and Robbins and Brautigan you'll like this.

It is of interest the way he starts in the Southwest, but always take his characters "outside" someplace. In True Grit it is the Indian Territory. Here it is a C American counry.

The title bus appears for about 1 paragraph, so not sure why the book is named after it. The Afterward is by someone who gushes about Portis, but no idea why they were chosen, or why we should listen to him.

OK read, it goes fast and will keep your interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dog of the South.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seingalt (new)

Seingalt Dated? Greatness dates? I can't stand Brautigan and Robbins, and Vonnegut I can take or leave, but I love Portis.

Steve Seingalt wrote: "Dated? Greatness dates? I can't stand Brautigan and Robbins, and Vonnegut I can take or leave, but I love Portis."

"Greatness"? I'm not sure why, but understand why he has such die hard fans. Wish I liked him more, but I just don't.