Anna's Reviews > The Sable Quean

4552039
May 24, 14

bookshelves: redwall
Read from April 01 to May 23, 2014

This is a book in the best traditions of Redwall and Brian Jacques, and I enjoyed it on so many levels.

I love the characters, the every single one of them: courageous Buckler Kordyne, his gluttonous and funny friend Diggs, all Witherspyk company. Special mention goes to Flandor, Midda, Tura and Whitherspyk twins. They are no more than babes, if only slightly older than the rest of the captives. And yet they are heroes on par with adult warriors. They don't wait to be rescued - they rescue themselves. And let's not forget Axtel Sturnclaw, the first Warrior mole, who manages to be funny and kind with his friends and warlike and scary with his enemies. And Clarinna - she is not a fighter herself, but that doesn't mean she is weak and helpless, even if she prefers a life of farming to military life of Salamandastron. To put it short, all the characters were fun to read about, and the only one who took some time to grow on me was Flib, but that's because it took a while for her aggressiveness and rudeness to grow into intrepidity.

I love the plot as well: Vilaya the Sable Quean is not the first villain who kidnaps babes, but she is the first one who does it on such a big scale and has such a grand plan in mind relying on these kidnappings. She and another villain, Zwilt the Shade, balance each other well: Vilaya is sly and cunning and acts through deception while Zwilt is cruel and sadistic and prefers to rely on brute strength. They could have been a good team... if they didn't try to kill each other. Their confrontation is one of the things I enjoyed about the book, as well as the character of Zwilt the Shade. He is quite an intelligent villain: he knows warfare well and thinks of the moves to counter his enemies possible action. And the most important, after defeating an enemy, he doesn't leave them for dead, but beheads them. However, he isn't smart enough to realize that your sadistic side and a habit of taunting your enemies is something that gets you killed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sable Quean.

04/01 marked as: currently-reading
04/04 page 50
13.0% "Our villain balance each other: Vilaya the Sable Quean is sly and cunning and acts through deception while Zwilt the Shade is cruel and sadistic and prefers to rely on brute strength."
04/07 page 80
21.0% "I like the characters. They are fun to read about, and the only one who annoys me is Flib. She is too aggressive and rude."
04/15 page 130
35.0% "This is a book in best traditions of Redwall and Brian Jacques."
04/19 page 160
43.0% "There are those in Mossflower who would deny the existence of a Warrior mole. None of these doubters had ever met Axtel Sturnclaw. There was not the slightest doubt that Axtel was a warrior."
05/07 page 280
76.0% "I love this book on so many levels. Vilaya is not the first villain who kidnaps babes, but she is the first one who does in on such a big scale and has such a grand plan in mind relying on these kidnappings. Another thing I like is that the kidnapped babes are heroes on par with adult warriors. They don't wait to be rescued. They rescue themselves."
05/13 page 300
81.0% "Zwilt is quite an intelligent villain. He knows warfare well and thinks of the moves to counter his enemies possible move. And the most important, after defeating an enemy, he doesn't leave them for dead, but beheads them. However, I feel that his sadistic side and a habit of taunting his enemies will kill him."
05/15 page 325
88.0% "“That’s for Clerun Kordyne, the father of my babes, who you murdered!”
A piece of advise: never ever turn your back on a widow of someone you killed, even if she seems weak and helpless."
05/23 marked as: read