Teena R.'s Reviews > Tigana

2037756
Mar 01, 11

bookshelves: high-fantasy
Read from February 28 to March 01, 2011

More of a two and a half.

Tolkienesque epic fantasy is so, so longgg.

I began the book in earnest. How can one undo that kind of curse? Then the characters were recruited, the past was told and the story begin to drag on and on and on and on. We kept hearing how Devin is so moved by things and try to be silent and thoughtful, how noble Alessan is, how suffering Baerd is and how spunky Catriana is (I liked Tomaz, ha!) I almost quit after the awful castle Borga session. Seriously? Alienor is so ridiculous and out of place. And don't let me begin on the secret monster-fighting sect girl who, of course, ended up sleeping with one of the heroine.

Anyhow, I strived to the end and the last 100 pages or so are such a pageturner. Yes, the prose is still annoying sometime and Devin still has the tendency to be so friggin sentimental over every friggin thing and I did laugh at Alessan's declaration of love (damn it, I was teary at the scene before then this...utterly cheesy scene just pop up). I loved how the curse end and the aftermath.

If not for the last 100 pages, this book would get 2 stars for me, because it's not a bad book and I could see why many like it. I'd say anyone who love Lord of the Ring should try Tigana but if you struggled through the Fellowship of the Rings like me then you could skip it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigana.

02/28/2011 page 412