Joy H.'s Reviews > The Trip to Bountiful

The Trip to Bountiful by Horton Foote

Feb 28, 11

bookshelves: watched-film-only, adapted-to-film
Read in December, 2010

I watched a Netflix DVD of "The Trip to Bountiful" (1985)
I gave the film 4 stars out of 5.

As Netflix describes it: "Geraldine Page won an Academy Award for this bittersweet tale set in 1947 about an elderly Houston woman in search of happier times."

The story slowly draws you in as you develop empathy for the old woman who is longing to go back to her hometown of Bountiful. She sneaks out of her son's house and gets on a bus but the sheriff catches up with her.

The film is based on the play, The Trip to Bountiful, by Horton Foote. Wiki says: "The Trip to Bountiful premiered March 1, 1953 on NBC-TV with the leading cast members (Lillian Gish, Eva Marie Saint) reprising their roles on Broadway later that year." GR says: "Foote earned an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay in 1985 for his work on Bountiful".

IMDb describes Horton Foote as a "Pulitzer Prize-winning dramatist and Oscar-winning screenwriter". He wrote the screenplay for To Kill a Mockingbird.

PS-Below is a link to an interview with Horton Foote at the NYS Writers Institute in 2006:

PPS-Below are some quotes I took down as I watched the DVD of "The Trip to Bountiful":

From the film: "Mama, I want to stop remembering. It doesn't do any good remembering."

From the DVD's bonus commentary on the film: "An exploration of the human condition. It is a gentle reminder that life is not forever, that each of us must be free to find its meaning and in doing so, we may find inner peace."

I found the following at the IMDb page containing quotes from the film:
"I guess when you've lived longer than your house and your family, then you've lived long enough." [said by the old lady]
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trip to Bountiful.