Molly's Reviews > Semper Cool: One Marine's Fond Memories of Vietnam

Mar 01, 11

Recommended to Molly by: PUYB
Recommended for: everyone
Read in March, 2011

I can't really write a long review of this memoir. No, it's simply not going to be possible. Why? Well, simply put, you need to read it for yourself. This is a unique book. Not your normal war memoir. When you think (or atleast when I think) of a war memoir, you are thinking that it will be about all the details and dramatic, gut wrenching events. Not this memoir. This is a memoir of a Viet Nam Marine Corp vet who remembers the fond times he had as a soldier of war. He remembers his happenings of the things that will make you laugh. And of the things that will make you cry. It's an interesting account from a new point of view.

Oh sure, there are going to be some gut wrenching events in this story. But the way that Barry tells his accounts is stunning. He turns it into an entertaining read that anyone, not just military or memoir lovers. It's a 4 star book in my opinion. I wish more memoirs were like this one, as this one really held my attention with both the book itself and the author's accounts of Nam. Well done, Fixler and thank you for your service!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Semper Cool.