Nafiza's Reviews > Macbeth

Macbeth by William Shakespeare

Mar 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011, for-school
Read from February 28 to March 11, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Macbeth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nafiza Ah, Lady Macbeth might be the true man of this play.

Krystle I love Macbeth! <3.

Nafiza It was fantastic.

message 4: by Aleeeeeza (new)

Aleeeeeza you should ask my 14-y.o sister for a rating. i think she'd give it a negative one :P
lol, but no, seriously. can you believe in her school they're being taught shakespeare in eighth grade? my country has a seriously effed up education system. even the teachers don't really comprehend what they're teaching, sad.

Krystle I don't see what the problem is teaching students Shakespeare that early. I had Romeo and Juliet taught to me in like... 6th or 7th grade? I thoroughly enjoyed it then. Haha.

message 6: by Nafiza (last edited Mar 12, 2011 03:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nafiza I think you can only appreciate Shakespeare with the appropriate backstory and context to situate it in history. Besides, I don't think 14 year olds would be much interested in the "thy" and "thou" and that's totally generalization but I wasn't too interested in Shakespeare at that age either. But fact remains that the man was a master at rhetoric and well, a lot of the movies we see in contemporary art, a lot of the villains etc are derivative of Shakespeare. It's kinda mind boggling. :)

Nafiza Krystle wrote: "I don't see what the problem is teaching students Shakespeare that early. I had Romeo and Juliet taught to me in like... 6th or 7th grade? I thoroughly enjoyed it then. Haha."

At that age, I so remember us being taught stupid stuff like Swiss Family Robinson and The Jungle Book. And then even more obscure stuff that no one here has heard of. But then, it was Fiji. You can't expect much.

Krystle ^ Well, we had those books that would present the original text and would give English modern equivalents instead of straight up Shakespearean to make it easier for us. We would go over simpler themes than the real hardcore complex ones. I remember I had to read Johnny Tremain or The Red Badge of Courage or something in 3rd grade. I almost died. (Never got past the 2nd chapter)

message 9: by Aleeeeeza (new)

Aleeeeeza you have to understand, krystle, that this is a non-english-speaking country im talking about. the most high-vocab books these girls read and understand are TWILIGHT, for crying out loud. so teaching them shakespeare, and doing such a crap job of it, is really unfair, IMO.

Krystle Twilight actually has a decent vocabulary (author likes to throw in gratuitous words). Yes, I get your point but the same could be applied here. We have a lot of second language speakers/immigrants (which is why our academic standing compared to the nation as a whole is poor) so it's pretty difficult for them to understand.

I think it's fine for people to teach Shakespeare in middle school/14 year olds. They might not understand it but at least they're exposed to it, which I believe is a good thing. If they like it or not, it's a good way to expand vocabulary and what not.

Nafiza I think I'm reading A Winter's Tale next. Just saying. Haha.

Krystle ^ Did you read King Lear yet? Had to read that one in senior year and we had to teach the class one act from that section and give them a test on it. Damn, was that ever so difficult. That one's not as fun as Macbeth. More psychological/internal relations versus supernatural and action. LoL.

Nafiza Nope. We read Twelfth Night, Titus Andronicus, Henry the 5th, Macbeth and now finally, A Winter's Tale. I have his entire works so I probably will read all his plays eventually. Which one is your favourite?

Krystle I actually like Macbeth the most but I haven't read all of his works. I plan to one day read them all though. Have you read his poems? I read a few of them and thought they were great too. Those are bit harder to understand than his plays though. >_>.

Nafiza Krystle wrote: "I actually like Macbeth the most but I haven't read all of his works. I plan to one day read them all though. Have you read his poems? I read a few of them and thought they were great too. Those ar..."

Yeah, I actually think I prefer his sonnets to his major theater works. I think so far I've liked Macbeth too. Though The Tempest is fun as well.