Debbie's Reviews > Moab is my Washpot

Moab is my Washpot by Stephen Fry

Mar 03, 11

bookshelves: biography
Read from February 21 to 28, 2011

This book with the wonderfully obscure title is Stephen Fry's account of the early years in his life, from childhood until just before he entered Cambridge University.

I will confess that I am a huge fan of Stephen Fry, but not the type of fan to go stalking their prey on the internet, so I knew virtually nothing about his life outside of TV shows and books. This book then was a revelation in many ways. What a tempestuous youth he lived through - I can imagine an army of psychologists just itching to psychoanalyse him.

This book is wonderfully entertaining as you would expect, disarmingly candid, and a very good introduction to the strange world of private schooling in Britain. I also found myself empathising with Mr Fry on many occasions - his crippling self consciousness, his complete feelings of inadequacy with regards to sport and his associated detestation and avoidance of anything sporty, his love of words and language and complete confidence with regards to anything literary or linguistic. All this was an echo of my own childhood. He even cites a couple of songs that had great meaning for him at certain points in his life that were also songs that resonated with me. Stephen Fry - I get you.

I found I got more and more involved in this book as I read. I think that's because a lot of his early years were a bit aimless but events really crescendoed during his adolescence. I finished this book and immediately started reading The Fry Chronicles as I was enjoying his story so much and didn't want to stop reading. A very good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moab is my Washpot.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Powersamurai You've gotta be kidding! A friend lent me this and I picked it up last night to start reading. Only to find that you are now reading it too!

Debbie Snap! Hope your friend has a copy of The Fry Chronicles as well so you can get a double dose of Stephen.

Powersamurai Doubt it. Can't read too many Frys at once or the cholesterol will shoot through the ceiling.