natercopia's Reviews > Bruiser

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman

1927773
Feb 01, 12

Read in February, 2012

This is opposite of what most YA books with powers put out there. The rainbows and unicorns of having a cool power. I've always believe that with powers, there are dark sides to it. And I don't mean like villains using their powers for all the wrong reasons to get what they want. It's the thought of what if you get the wrong powers and you're stuck with it like Brewster? And by that, you most definitely expect a emo story out of a depressing character. But no, Shusterman does it so well bringing the story alive with all the characters' point of view. Using humour, analogies and dialogues that engages and moves you to sympathize with the characters and their stories. I also noticed that Shusterman is also good at bringing out sincerity from relationship in the story. Something I don't get from most of the same type of stories out there. It's nice to read about characters accepting each other's vulnerability and not giving up when misfortune hits them.

----

Some excerpts from Bruiser:

"A line in the sand, a dare there between us, My hand is a weapon; my blood’s in a boil, I strain to move mountains; I strain to swing free, Denying my nature, I raise up my arm.

....

But my fist is still fixed by invisible shackles, The mountain won’t move; my hand won’t swing free, I cannot deliver; I only receive, And he gloats at his victory, laughs at my shame.
"

[and]

"Brewster wasn’t a stray at all. If anyone was lost, it was me; and I could feel nothing but gratitude at having been found. "
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bruiser.