Ashley's Reviews > A Necessary Deception

A Necessary Deception by Laurie Alice Eakes

Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

I'm probably one of the biggest critics of Regency novels. Mainly because, in all the Regency book I've read, it was a struggle for the author to make the life in that era, interesting. To me it seemed like all anyone did back then was sit in a parlor, drink tea, and try not to make any slight faux pas, or else stories, even the Grimm brother couldn't think up, would be spread about you. Nevertheless, even before reading A Necessary Deception, I knew it wouldn't be "just another unexciting Jane Austen-isk" book. The cover is stunning, and captures the intrigue of deception, that awaits us. I liked that most of the characters weren't obsessed with getting married, as you might typically find in a book set in this time period. And I liked how Lydia's sisters stood up for themselves a few times but, on the whole, they was a wee bit irksome and whiny most of the time. The main characters Lydia and Christien were made for each other, yet I felt Lydia's hesitance towards a romance with Christien was cold and added an unnecessary weak point to the plot. I'm all for lovers who can't be with each other, but when that happens because the one person is selfish and has misplaced guilt, it leaves the story flat and the reader annoyed. Which is what happened in A Necessary Deception. There was a great story and plot, and the characters had all the right stuff, except the good-widow, Lydia Gale. Overall, I think Lauria Eakes wrote a nice novel that started off amazingly, but found it's Achille's heel later on. The whisper-of-a-message of how our own selfishness gets in the way of our relationships with others, and more importantly with God was nice. Yet, I wish there had been more of a spiritual struggle with the Hero and Heroin in the end. The historical details of Regency England, and the many romances, make A Necessary Deception a necessary read for the romantic-heart, but not a major tear-jerkier for those looking for a book with conviction.

Available October 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Necessary Deception.