Bianca's Reviews > The Ice Queen

The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman

F_50x66
Feb 27, 11

Recommended for: readers ready for an emotional rollercoaster ride
Read in July, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

On a note of boredom last summer, I picked this book up. I still have it sitting on my desk, and not because it was really, really good, but rather because I find myself still trying to figure out how I feel about it.

Hoffman's prose and diction are beautiful (if not a bit melancholy) throughout the course of the book, which allows for easy flow of reading. However, I found myself getting a little bit upset with the main character for being so self-absorbed. It seemed as if she was so busy writhing in her own misery to notice the people and opportunities that surrounded her. I supposed, though, that this was part of her character, and since it ultimately moves the plotline forward, that it was okay.

The theme of 'cause and effect' is really strong in this one, since Hoffman gives you a characterization, then tells you exactly how that character got to be that way. There was a bit of mystery in this with certain characters, which made them interesting, but I felt like some of the more minor characters weren't touched on enough. However, this might be because of my unhealthy crush on Renny.

Anyway, it was overall a decent read. However, it's not the most uplifting book in the world (at least for the first 100-something pages) so if you're looking for something a bit more upbeat, this probably isn't for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Queen.