Laura's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, favorites
Read on February 27, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Neal Shusterman - how did I never know you existed??

This. Is. Fantastic.

Original, chilling, believable (*too* much so?). (I can see why people would think it is *not* believable - parents 'aborting' their teenagers and all that and at one point I sort of thought that too. But it's the 'they're not actually dying because every piece of them is used and can go on to greatness' bit that they've been fed for so long that they actually believe it. And come on, it's a dystopia, these peeps have all been desensitised to the horror of unwinding. It's a society accepted thing to do. It's the way the Unwind world is.)

I remember listening to an author talking about 'fat' and 'skinny' books, referring to the ideas and plot and all that in them. Well, Unwind is definitely a fat book.

In the beginning, there are plenty of intriguing ideas and names and stuff mentioned here and there and you sort of think, "hmm, what's that?" and maybe sort of forget about them (Clappers, for example). But by the end, everything is explained and it all ties together so neatly and satisfyingly.

The way the plot unfolds is so perfect. The ideas are so smart. (I just love the phrase 'uploaded' for being pregnant.)

It's pretty intense, though. Especially when Roland is being unwound. I found that scene hard to read, particularly once the nurse stops talking to him and the surgeons are having this trivial sports conversation like what they're doing is perfectly normal and a-okay.

I loved Connor. I loved Risa. I loved Lev too, even though he was so deluded way back in the beginning.

I shall have to read more of Neal Shusterman's novels. Very soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.

02/27/2011 page 246