Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Not for Tourists Guide to San Francisco

Not for Tourists Guide to San Francisco by NFT

Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, reference, san-francisco, reviewed
Recommended for: visitors and tourists and people new to the area
Read from March 18 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy

They make these books for other cities too, and if I get to travel there I’d be interested in getting a NFT guide for New York City, Brooklyn, London, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C. and maybe Seattle. So, these guidebooks may say “not for tourists” but I think they’d be wonderful when traveling to an area other than your own.

The biggest downside of this book is that it has tiny, tiny print; it should come with a magnifying glass! For reference, I will keep this book in my car, and luckily I do keep a lighted magnifying glass in my glove compartment. It will definitely come in handy.

So, for me, as a vegan, the restaurants listed are no more helpful than the ones in the AAA books, but almost everything else is very helpful.

I appreciated all the maps of the different areas and the MUNI (bus) map. Listed are such things as banks, gas stations, parking, libraries, pharmacies, supermarkets, schools, post offices, transit and driving information, various sights to see, coffee, gyms, hardware stores, pet shops, nightlife, shopping, landmarks, sports arenas, etc. There’s to much to list, and what’s listed and described depends on the neighborhood, part of the city. Also, areas outside San Francisco but within the San Francisco Bay Area are covered.

This is one of the few books, even among those on my reference shelf, that I did not read thoroughly. It truly is more of a reference book. I might have read every word if the print were larger. The advantage of keeping the print small is that the book is small. While thick, it’s definitely small enough to carry around, and that’s important.

So, I think natives are going to know or find out this information, and more, just from living in a place and knowing others who live there. Therefore, despite what the title says and even though I’m sure I’ll find useful information: I recommend these books for tourists, visitors, and new residents. And, it’s crucial that the book’s edition matches the year it’s read because there are always so many changes. If I travel to any of the cities I mentioned above, especially those places where I have no friends living there, I will definitely consider purchasing and using the books for those cities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not for Tourists Guide to San Francisco.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: ""Thanks for this, Lisa. I've wondered about the NYC guide from this series, and whether it was worth picking up. I think, given the size of my tbr shelf, I'll forgo it! :) "

Abigail, If I do get to NYC/Brooklyn, I'll probably buy these books for whatever year and, if I do, I'll give you my copies when the trip is over, and that way you can check them out. Preferably with a magnifying glass. ;-)

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "When you do get to NYC, Lisa, I'd rather spend time with you, than with your books! ;)"

Well, yes; I'd like to get together with you too, but when I departed, I'd leave you the books. ;-)