Joy's Reviews > Last Light

Last Light by Terri Blackstock

Mar 04, 11

Read from February 27 to March 03, 2011

What if everything electrical stopped working? Not for just a day or two, but indefinitely?

I was raised in a simpler time, but have come to depend on gadgets to get me through the day, and entertain me as well. What if the car suddenly quit running? How would I get to work 33 miles from here? And IF I could get there, how could I do my job without a computer? Without an ATM, how much money do I have? Once Wal-Mart is out of stock, how do I feed my family?

Terri Blackstock's series of four books makes you look at life as we know it and think about what is really important--faith, family, love and sharing. This book is the first of the four, and in a way, they work it out much more smoothly than I think would really be the case. Stealing and murder happen, but I felt the main family is a lot more safe and secure than if this was a real situation. But this is only the first book, perhaps the following books will reveal more anarchy and mayhem as time goes on. Because I suspect things would get worse before they got better.

It's ironic to me that I read this story on a Kindle--which of course would not work in this scenario. I will have to keep some conventional books--and some money--around in case the 21st century would suddenly regress into 19th century ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Light.