seak's Reviews > Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Batman by Frank Miller

Mar 09, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read from March 02 to 05, 2011

I'm not a big graphic novel reader, although the more I read, the more addicted I become. It's like a step up from the ease of TV and a step down from the mental effort of a novel, great combo.

In light of this, you probably know the history behind this graphic novel better than I, so I'll be quick. In a nutshell, The Dark Knight Returns is a classic because it brought Batman back to his dark roots and showcases Frank Miller's great film noir style.

In The Dark Knight Returns, Bruce Wayne is old. He's been retired for 10 years and finds that he's still not done with the game. Of course, crime never rests, and the latest threat is from a gang calling themselves the Mutants.

Throughout the graphic novel, Bruce Wayne/Batman continually reminds us how old he is. Every fight it's "that was lucky old man" and "I shouldn't be sweating already". While this works to heighten the drama, I've never been a fan of heroes "losing their powers" so to say. Same reason I wasn't the biggest fan of the second Spider-man movie.

Batman has lost some spunk, but he's still knarly, and he still kicks butt. I was surprised at how many DC superheroes made appearances and after writing this, it sounds like there are more than just the few.

I really enjoyed The Dark Knight Returns even though I had some nit-picks. In reality, it's a very interesting concept of an older superhero and I definitely recommend experiencing it.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

03/02 page 86
02/26 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Tyson I thought this one was average at best. I know that is blasphemy but it never got the job done for me.

seak That's good to hear now at least. What would you recommend? I haven't read a ton of comics, at least not in years. The only thing I read recently was The Watchmen.

Tyson The Supergirl series that started with the Joe Loeb are decent. The Batman The Long Halloween and Dark Victor is great. Outstanding work is Killing Joke the comic where Robin dies.

I hear but have not read Superman For All Seasons is really good. I think you will like Dark Knight Returns but it just wasn't what I was hoping for an aged Batman was not my cup of tea.

Ronyell Awesome review! This story was just so amazing!