Lola4's Reviews > Sweet Memories

Sweet Memories by LaVyrle Spencer

Feb 10, 14

Read in February, 2011

I usually enjoy LaVyrle Spencer books, but this one was the pits. The answer to this woman's "problems" was so obvious that it was like the characters were all avoiding the 500-lb. gorilla in the middle of the living room. I would have to call this an idiot plot--everyone in the book had to be an idiot or there would be no plot. There comes a time to quit whining and just deal with your issues--and these characters had long passed that point, so all the angst just didn't work; it merely sounded ridiculous. But hey, this was a woman who made a big fuss over her make-up before going on a swim-date--you stand warned: Realism has totally left this building.
I also agree with my fellow DD's--I personally resent the author's implications that we are abnormal or suffer great physical distress. I might refer to the girls as softballs or grapefruit but never volleyballs or pumpkins. I have run races and played sports, dated nice guys, and haven't encountered any of the problems Theresa did--apparently her mother who shared the same "problem" didn't either. I do not feel like I look abnormal, do not get stared at like a freak show, and do not droop to my knees--and I am 62. Spencer really needs a reality check here.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Memories.