Black Dog Reviews's Reviews > Sun Storm

Feb 27, 11

liked it
bookshelves: crime-crime-noir-mystery
Read in February, 2011

Reading Swedish crime fiction makes me wonder: is Sweden really so full of murder and evilness? Or do the dark, cold winter days and nights encourage sinister novels focused on the dark area of the human psyche?

Sun Storm, winner of Sweden’s Best First Crime Novel Award, deals with religion, hypocrisy, abuse, mental illness, and perhaps redemption over the course of the story. It’s setting of Kiruna, the northernmost city in Sweden, is important. Its remoteness and isolation are integral to the story.

The story starts off when charismatic religious figure Viktor Strandgard is brutally murdered in the revivalist church he created, The Source of All Our Strength. Rebecca Martinsson returns to Kiruna, her hometown, to support Viktor’s sister. The reader slowly learns Rebecca’s past as she unravels the truth and protects Sanna’s children from multiple forms of evil. Pregnant inspector Anna-Maria, her counterpart Sven-Erik, and a blow-hard Assistant Chief Prosecutor round out the cast.

Fans of Henning Mankell or Stieg Larsson’s The Millennium Trilogy will appreciate Sun Storm.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun Storm.

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna I think they have more awesome crime authors in Sweden than actual murders. :)

Barbara Agreed, they are a relatively safe country.

SweetSweeede I've heard it said that in countries where crime is low, there are more crime novels, and where there is turmoil, feelgood novels and romance flourish. The feelgood genre is beginning to emerge in Sweden as we're seeing more violence in society now, but crime fiction remains the most popular genre. We kinda associate summer with crime, so there's always episodes of the Midsummer Murders airing in summer, and the crime novels sell like hotcakes.