Mariah's Reviews > Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth

Druidry Handbook by John Michael Greer

Apr 04, 11

bookshelves: druidism, library, religion, workbook, paganism, 2011, reviewed
Read from March 20 to April 04, 2011

This is the handbook for the beginning year-long training program for Ancient Order of Druids in America. I have read many books on Druidism and Celtic spirituality, so some of it was familiar but there was also some new things to learn from it.

John Michael Greer is part of Revival Druidry- an older tradition that is based more on philosophy and personal inspiration and less on history as contrasted with later Neo-Pagan Druid traditions.
After introducing the Druid movement and its history, Greer explains 3 triads- groups of related concepts.
The training consists of the Earth Path- connecting with nature and adopting a more eco-friendly lifestyle; the Sun Path- celebration of the solstices, equinoxes and four Celtic fire festivals, and the Moon Path- meditation.

The ceremonies in the Sun Path were shorter and simpler than I prefer. But I found both the information in the Earth and Moon Path sections to be quite useful.
He described forms of meditation I'd not heard of before- like discursive, where you focus on a particular theme and see where that leads your thoughts.

This book would be of interest not only to those following Druidism (and Revival in particular) but any form of nature-based spirituality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Druidry Handbook.