Dufour's Reviews > The American Way

The American Way by John Ridley

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, digital-comics, ipad-books

I was flabbergasted by how great this book was. Ridley tells a post-superhero story that instantly becomes unique in its setting: Kennedy-era 1960s. The richness of the background in Ridley's story is rife with '60s nostalgia and historical awesomeness. However, in this alternate history, superheroes not only exist in America but are engineered by a government that uses their staged exploits to manipulate public perception during the Cold War.

But the cornerstone of THE AMERICAN WAY is the story's main protagonist, a Mad Men-style ad man who is brought in by Robert Kennedy to improve the government's superheroes' Q rating. This ad man serves the role of the everyman in evaluating the right and wrong of the story's main theme: the 1962 divisions in thought between the American south and north... particularly as it related to race relations.

This is not a book for the faint-hearted when it comes to social commentary between whites and blacks in this turbulent time in America's history. There is a TON of uncomfortable language and scenes, most of which leans toward the mature. Be forewarned.

Georges Jeanty's art on this story is amazing, possibly the best of his career. Not only are his superhumans awesomely designed with a great '60s flair, but he maintains an attention to detail for the background of Ridley's story that I think could have been easily glimmer over.

Finally, I bought this version of THE AMERICAN WAY via DC's digital comics store on the iPad. The first issue was free and the remaining 7 are $1.99, making it about a $14 investment for the whole book. I think it's totally worth the price. The digital experience for this comic is a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed it, so much so that I think it's a great deal. Don't miss it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Way.