Anthony Chavez's Reviews > 20th Century Boys, Band 2

20th Century Boys, Band 2 by Naoki Urasawa

May 27, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novel-manga
Read from May 26 to 27, 2012

My gosh Urasawa never ceases to amaze me with his layered complex form of storytelling. I had to put Pluto down for a while as this first volume grabbed me. I love tales of childhood that come back to haunt the children later in life. If the first volume didn't bind you to this series then the 2nd one will, by the last page of volume 2 this series completely owned the highest admiration I can give a manga series, which in my opinion Urasawa also holds the title for with Monster.

This volume evoked a lot of emotions from me without being cheap about it. No I didn't cry, I'm just invested in the future of all the characters and can't wait to see what lays in wait for them all. I think Kenji, the main character, is easy to relate to, he's just an average guy with a job and his sister's kid strapped to his back. Kenji, like many of us, had dreams in his younger days, but reality came knocking eventually. I'm also really starting to like Yukiji, I hope she gets a bigger role moving forward, a strong female character that develops over time is something that Monster lacked and I look forward to seeing Yukiji's history and what happens to her in the future.

What does the future hold for Kenji? What will this "friend" organization do next? Will germ warfare break out in London? What did they really get themselves into as kids to lead to this point? All this and more, on the next volume of 20th CENTURY BOYS!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 20th Century Boys, Band 2.

05/26/2012 page 120

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by mark (new)

mark monday i loved the movie adaptation. well, trilogy, actually.