David's Reviews > In Our Time

In Our Time by Ernest Hemingway

Dec 12, 13

bookshelves: classics, fiction, holy-substance-abuse-batman
Read from February 27 to March 04, 2011

In Our Time is a collection of stories, thematically if not always directly about World War I and its influence on Hemingway and others who experienced it. It is disorienting, uncomfortable, and violent. It took me nearly half of the book to even figure out it was about the War, and that many of the stories were about the same character.

I respect the complexity of the subject, and I appreciate the way he framed the stories. Approaching the unimaginable horror of war through various metaphors: fishing and bullfighting among them. Many of the stories were very well-done and affecting.

However, I get the feeling I wouldn't have liked the guy. Rather sexist and overly concerned with manliness. I disagreed with much of what he seemed to be saying about relationships between men and women. Maybe this is because many of my best friends have been (and are) women, or maybe I'm just not manly enough. I'd be happy to go on a fishing trip with Papa Hemingway and "hug it out." But the fates have intervened and killed him decades before I was born.

I plan on reading more Hemingway, but wasn't blown away by this one, especially.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Our Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen I absolutely love the idea of trying to get Hemingway to hug anything out. That would be worthy of network primetime.

David Well, I figure he doesn't like talking about feelings... all of his friend-men just sit around contentedly drinking, so I figure hugging it out is the next logical step.