Nancy's Reviews > Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence—and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process

Alex & Me by Irene M. Pepperberg

Feb 27, 2011

bookshelves: adult-non-fiction

I was warned with this one I would get bogged down in scientific detail. Despite that I found this was a bird with a mind of his own. Plus I mourned right along with Irene at his passing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alex & Me.

Addie I enjoyed Alex and Me, too! I used to own a blue fronted Amazon parrot, back in the 70s, named Upbird. He used to lord it over our cat Hecate. We got Hecate as a kitten about the same size as Up, and he pecked the hell out of her. When she got to be 10 times his size, she still feared him. She would stalk him and then lose her courage at the last minute and walk away. (I've got photos of this!)
We finally gave him to the zoo because he squawked so loudly he hurt Lee's ears. Later we found out he had been traded to St. Louis zoo.
I never could teach him to talk. His full name was "Open Up" because that is what it sounded like he was saying. So I say that he taught us his name. He could never teach us any more parrot language either.
I wanted to see the author downtown, but Lee got sick at the last minute and we had to miss her. Did you go?