Carol's Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Mar 06, 08

Recommended to Carol by: While writing a review of "Heat", other reviewers mentioned that
Recommended for: A MUST for anyone contemplating a carrer in food service and foodies in general
Read in March, 2008

Ah, now THIS is what I had hoped I'd get from reading "Heat" and didn't. This should be mandatory reading for anyone fantasizing about changing careers and becoming a chef. Although starting a new career at this point in my life, especially one physically grueling, would be absurd, I have to admit I have sometimes thought a wistful "what if.." No more. Bourdain lets you know that unless you MUST cook and just can't help yourself, are totally committed to having no personal life, and can work alongside thugs and wackos, you don't belong in a professional kitchen. I, myself, could not handle it. Of this I'm certain after reading this book. Bourdain traces his life in food, from very early childhood when he tasted his first oyster in France, through a misspent youth of not giving his all to restaurants that employed him, drinking and drugging, and working only for the highest paycheck, to the organized, committed professional he is today; who, to this day, still gets excited by food and loves the lifestyle. And it really is another world by his description.
Wonderfully readable, Bourdain is an educated man with an ability for writing...one of those people I envy who can be gifted and artistic in many different areas. He's reminds me so much of many of my brilliant, screw-up friends from my youth in the 60's that, by the time I finished, I feel he IS one.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.

03/25 marked as: read

message 1: by joan (new)

joan I read this book a few years ago and also liked it very much. He definitely gives a realistic view of the profession. I remember his advice for Sunday brunch. Don't Frequent them. Also , best time to dine is Thursday since food is freshest then.