Ann's Reviews > Behind You

Behind You by Jacqueline Woodson

I read this a couple of weeks ago, and, honestly, I'm having a hard time remembering much from it, which may say something about the book. I do think that it was well written and quite sad, but because it is so short, it was hard to feel any lasting connection with the story and characters. I found out after reading it that it's actually a sequel to If You Come Softly, but everything I've read indicates that this book can stand alone. However, I think I would have liked to have read the other book first to get some sense of the characters' relationships. I also thought the author crammed in too many issues (divorce, adultery, homosexuality) that overshadowed the main story of an interracial relationship and racial profiling. In a book this short, everything seemed to compete. I know this book was more true to life than many others, since life is that way, with multiple issues running through all the time, but I would have liked to either see a longer book or the author deal with less. However, I know I enjoyed reading it and the writing is very, very good, and the concept of someone struggling to move on while watching the grief left behind after his death was beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind You.