Alexis's Reviews > Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat: Why It's So Hard to Think Straight About Animals

Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by Hal Herzog

Mar 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from February 26 to March 01, 2011

This book was profoundly fascinating and I loved how the author got into the paradoxes of how we treat animals. Each chapter examined a different topic. I really enjoyed the chapter on pets and the pet industry, and the chapters on cockfighting and the meat industry. I was not as interested in some of the philosophical discussions at the end of the book, but that's just me. There are a lot of interesting facts and interviews in this book. At times, it's not an easy read, as the author is talking about things such as animal abuse and medical research. There were times when I cringed as I was reading.

I also liked that Herzog did a lot of research during this book and really allowed himself the opportunity to interact with tons of people, who share all kinds of attitudes about animals.

This is the type of book that will have you spouting facts for hours. (If you're me, I guess)

For example, more women than men are animal activists, even though both genders love animals as children. During times of recession, spendings on pets do not go down. Ex-vegetarians outnumber current vegetarians by 3 to 1. While many people are agaist cockfighting, they seem to be okay with the broiler chicken industry, which is far worse. Mice are not classed as animals under certain animal laws, which means that scientists do not necessarily have to obey certain protocols during animal research.

As we have moved further into cities, we seem to have more of a need for pets and animal companionship.

I definitely recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat.