Jill's Reviews > A Lot like Love

3820197
Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read in March, 2011

FBI agent Nick McCall needs help from Jordan Rhodes, heiress. She has the connections that Nick needs to plant a listening device to bring down a ring of criminals laundering money. She agrees to help in exchange for getting her brother released from jail.

Overall this was a good contemporary novel that completely sizzled in places and flopped in others. My biggest disappointment was in the portrayal of the heroine. She is simply too perfect. Afterall, how many readers can relate to a female protagonist who looks like Grace Kelly, dresses with all the panache (and budget) of Princess Mary, runs her own successful upmarket business, drives a Maserati and is the daughter of a billionaire?

I didn't like her; I didn't dislike her. But she didn't need me to root for her. It was a shoo-in she'd get the FBI guy. There was nothing to mar all this perfection. To remedy this, the author resorted to these peculiar add-ons to the character of Jordan, trying to make her more accessible to the average romance reader - running her own business like a regular, working girl and watching 'Dancing with the Stars' like a babe from the 'burbs. It didn't fit.

So, while Jordan didn't work for me, on the other hand....

Nick was gorgeous. And delicious. And smart. And protective. And sweet. And perfect.

Julie James does wonderful banter. There was some really, really funny scenes and terrific, witty exchanges. But unfortunately those moments cannot sustain an entire novel. However, it was her sex scenes that completely and delightfully took me my surprise. These well-done scenes, the fabulous FBI hero and light suspense and some moments of truly clever, sparkling dialogue, lifted this novel just above an average read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lot like Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maldivianbookreviewer Aww! You didn't like it? Mmmm.. but hey you still found Nick gorgeous! ^_^

Jill Mbr, I've read all JJ's novels, and I'm thinking she may be an author that's just not for me. Although each novel I read gets better.

And it's usually her h's that I'm not convinced about. Her H's I adore.

message 3: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay I haven't read this one yet, Jill, but I did the other one we talked about. Yes, she is spot on with her dialogue.

Jill Lisa Kay wrote: "I haven't read this one yet, Jill, but I did the other one we talked about. Yes, she is spot on with her dialogue."

Look forward to your thoughts on JJ's FBI series Lisa Kay.

message 5: by Wendy (last edited May 12, 2013 08:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy You sure are one tough cookie to crack Jilly, lol! I'm loving this. Even with all the heroine's little flaws. *snickers*

Ronyell Awesome review Jill! I actually enjoyed this book and I also love Nick!!! :D

Jill Wendy wrote: "You sure are one tough cookie to crack Jilly, lol! I'm loving this. Even with all the heroine's little flaws. *snickers*"

@ Wen
Glad you're loving it, Wen! But you know me and these darn CRs! :)

Jill Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Jill! I actually enjoyed this book and I also love Nick!!! :D"

@ Ronyell
Hi Ronyell and I'm glad you loved it! Take no notice of me and CRs....as Wen says, I'm hard to please where CRs are concerned!

Ronyell Jill wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Jill! I actually enjoyed this book and I also love Nick!!! :D"

@ Ronyell

That's alright! There are some CR reads that I have a hard time getting through also! :D

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Ronyell wrote: "Jill wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Jill! I actually enjoyed this book and I also love Nick!!! :D"

@ Ronyell

Glad to hear it's not always just me, Ronyell. :)