j's Reviews > The Art of the Steal: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business from Fraud, America's #1 Crime

The Art of the Steal by Frank W. Abagnale

Feb 28, 11

bookshelves: book-learnin, true-crime, finance
Read from February 26 to 28, 2011

The one thing I did not expect is that this book would be funny, but it totally is. I "read" the audiobook, and when the narrator deadpanned that the title of one chapter is "Forgery: Hours of Fun!" I actually snorted, causing everyone else on the train to turn around and stare.
I suspect that many of the criticisms of this book will be based on its timeliness; for example, many people don't use checks at all nowadays, and thus an entire chapter on check fraud may not interest them that much. But even though I may not find check fraud all that relevant for myself, I still find the information pretty fascinating, just not something I would use on a day-to-day basis.
The only thing I think I could do without is the occasional moralizing; Abagnale loooves to tell us that the reason there's more fraud today is because people are greedier and their families don't imbue them with the same sense of morality as previous generations. I'm not sure that's true, or that there's any real research to back that up; it comes across as very "When *I* was your age" + "get off my lawn, you damn kids." The good news is that these segments tend to be few and far between.

I would definitely recommend this book; it's a good, amusing, informative read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of the Steal.