Sammy's Reviews > The Virgin's Lover

The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory

May 29, 2007

bookshelves: b-the-good
Read in March, 2006

Philippa Gregory is still unable to catch up to the success of The Other Boleyn Girl. Her past two books have just not been quite up to par with her first one. While I still enjoyed the The Virgin's Lover I was far from impressed because I know what Philippa Gregory has the capability of doing.

The writing was still beautiful, as always, but the story line (though taken from history and elaborated upon) was lacking. This time the story was not told from one person's perspective, but several. I think it gave the story less dimension because you found yourself unable to figure out who you wanted to root for. Perhaps that was Gregory's point, but even so, it wasn't kind on the reader.

Also, I'm suspecting she wanted the reader to have read the first two books before this one, and remembered them because there was no family tree or character guide in the front of the book. That would have been tremendously helpful because I had a little trouble trying to follow who was who if they were not in the center of the story. There are a lot of people in the court to try and keep track of after all.

One thing that was kind of fun, was we saw Hannah Green at one point. You may remember her from The Queen's Fool. I don't know why but I was amused by that. There's really not much else to say about the book. I admit I was disappointed at the book. I expected a lot more from Gregory. But it was still an interesting read, and I still plan on reading more of her books in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin's Lover.