April's Reviews > New York Trilogy, The

New York Trilogy, The by Paul Auster

Jan 04, 12

Read from December 23 to 30, 2011

The New York Trilogy totally deserves 5 stars from me because it is amazing but I made the mistake of listening to the audio book version read by Joe Barrett whose "Casey Kasem-esque" voice was so disconcerting that I was continually distracted by his enunciation. At one point he pronounced prelude "prel-ude" splitting the word after the L and putting emphasis on the U! His female voices were creepy and his kid voices made me grimace with discomfort. Finally, I am not sure why he made the accent choices he made for many of the characters. Maybe I just dislike theater people.

I know this is a pretty harsh review and I am being quite hard on poor Mr. Barrett but an important element of these stories is language and the decline of language so I do not apologize.

Now that I've gotten this rant out of the way, I want to wait a few months and read the print version before rewriting a proper review for this brilliant set of existential/detective fiction by the man who is responsible for 2 of my very favorite movies, Smoke and Blue in the Face.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New York Trilogy, The.