Michael's Reviews > Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Book 3 - Vulture & Morbius

Spider-Man by Fred Van Lente

Feb 28, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, graphic-novel, spider-man
Read on February 26, 2011

Clearly I've missed a few issues in the grand scheme of the Spider-Man universe. At what point to the Vulture go from being an old guy who could fly to some kind of new acid-spewing guy? It seems like this was done just for the gross-out factor. But maybe I'm not the target audience for these stories.

Continuing the storyline of "The Gauntlet", Spidey faces the new look (and spewing) Vulture and his old foe Morbius. Neither story is exactly that impressive and I can't imagine the old team of Lee and Ditko coming up with something like this.

What does work is Peter Parker's latest personal turmoil. He's dating Black Cat as Spidey and apparently alienating a lot of the women in his life. It's interesting to see how Pete's having to run off to be Spidey is perceived by various women in his life (one realizes he's just using her..and while Pete is fairly aware of this, he doesn't realize how deep the hurt goes). And then, Pete makes a mistake to help his boss, J. Jonah Jameson and it ends up costing him his job with the city and possibly his professional reputation. Given how Pete's burned some bridges professionally, this could be an interesting development in future installments.

But my main issue with this series is the wildly inconsistent artwork. Take me back to Ditko or John Romita's glory days please!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider-Man.