Mike's Reviews > What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?

What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace? by Richard D. Phillips

Feb 28, 11

bookshelves: kindle-owned-books, theology
Read from February 26 to 28, 2011

This is a short book that gives an introduction to the doctrines of grace. That's right, TULIP. Just mentioning TULIP or Calvinism carries connotations and evokes a variety of reactions. Phrases like Unconditional Election or Limited Atonement aren't exactly enticing on first glance. I used to wince at the terms too. I actually took no interest in them. A book like this would have been extremely helpful. It's written with humility, uses scripture and logic rather than emotion to support its arguments and simply directs us to how a triune God works to save His people. The thing I enjoyed most was at each point Phillips highlighted what makes the doctrines significant beyond the academic level.

Obviously a 100 page book is only an introduction and must limit its scope, but I would have appreciated more time on responding to some of the common objections (although he does address several objections). Overall a really encouraging book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?.