Sammy's Reviews > Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls

May 29, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: c-the-okay
Read in June, 2005

I like the mystery books I read to make me think. This one... well, sort of did the thinking for me. I predicted events before they happened and then waited as they explained out what I already knew. The book was still all right though.

It's very "poppy." Full of trendy hotspots, descriptions of vintage "crazy-cool" fashionistas, and "Look it's trendy!" the book got a little too fluffy at points. The book is definitely geared more towards tweens and teens. If Lulu Dark becomes a series, I think she will probably become the 21st centuries Nancy Drew, as much as Lulu would hate to admit it.

I really did enjoy the subtle jabs at Paris Hilton via Berlin Silver. When/if you read this tell me if you noticed it as well.

The ending seriously bugged me... it felt like the author needed to tie it up really fast and seemed like a hastily put together end. And it of course needed to be a happy ending. I mean... weren't any of these kids the least bit freaked out or traumatized? Ice skating did not seem like the appropriate thing to do only minutes after this freaky mystery was solved.

The mystery did have a twist to it, and I admit it was pretty unique. But... I guess the book didn't impress me all that much, and is perhaps past my interest now. But honestly, don't let the term "Young Adult" "Teen Fiction" or anything like that stop you from reading a book... if you think it's good, you'll think it's good. It doesn't really matter what supposed age group it's aimed at...

Just look at Harry Potter!

Yay! July 16!!! Almost a month away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls.