Sammy's Reviews > The Dog Who Spoke with Gods

The Dog Who Spoke with Gods by Diane Jessup

Jun 13, 07

bookshelves: b-the-good
Read in May, 2005

Actually, this isn't a book just for anyone who has ever loved a dog, but for anyone who has ever loved an animal or has ever felt that special connection with a different species. And no, I'm not talking about interspecies dating you sick freaks! I'm talking about that bond that happens between people and animals.

I'm going to warn you now... this book will have you in tears by the end of it. If you hate books that make you cry... don't read this one. I honestly don't want to give away the ending of this book because it's an ending you wouldn't suspect. My mom had read it before me and I asked her what she thought of it and she said the ending was very hard to read. I figured it maybe was a typical sad ending of an animal being abused story, and that my mom was saying it was sad ending because I'm such an animal lover. But the ending was very different from what I expected.

There were a few flaws I found in the overall- wonderfullness (if that's a word)- of the story, and that's that I think it may have been a little too long. I think the whole meaning behind the story and the relationship we see develope between Elizabeth "Lux" and Damien, could have still been just as strong with certain bits of the story eliminated. The beginning... the very beginning... I really didn't think needed to be there. It had no affect on the rest of the story except somehow explaining why Lux and Damien met. And even then, we didn't need all the background with Hoffman and what-not. I suppose the only reason Jessup put that in there was to introduce us to Damien in a different setting or something. It just seemed very unneccessary. There were also some sections that seemed to drag... and the dialogue at times seemed really stiff.

Overall though, the book was wonderful. I highly reccommend it. Yes. I do.

And, oh yeah, just a quick heads up: Seville's an asshole. I hate him so much!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dog Who Spoke with Gods.