Ian Klappenskoff's Reviews > The Savage Detectives

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño

Aug 06, 12

bookshelves: reviews-5-stars, reviews, read-2012, bolano
Read from July 14 to 28, 2012

What’s a Giggle Amongst Family and Friends?

I bought this book 15 months ago. I finished it yesterday. It started off as a crisp, thin-leafed semi-brick whose 648 pages intimidated me. I only got the courage to read it when a discussion group gave me the impetus I needed. Now, it sits less crisp, but read, on my desk, wondering who will read it next. Like me, it’s 15 months older, but we are both easing into middle age and are still making new friends. We two are friends now, as if we’ve known each other since adolescence. When I pick it up and flick through the pages, I notice my pencilled notes, and a page that I accidentally folded over when I closed it clumsily before putting it down and going to sleep one night. There’s a mysterious stain at the edge of the last 20 pages. Initially, I’d hoped it was water and I tried unsuccessfully to dry it, but I think it came too close to the furniture oil on a paper towel that I had used, ironically, to remove a water bottle stain on my desk during the week. We can’t expect to age without blemish. During the week, one of our daughters co-starred in a musical play. The other wrote an elegant letter of resignation from her part-time job, so that she could spend the next four months concentrating on her final year exams at secondary school. (Her employer thanked her for her letter and said she could have her job back any time she wanted it.) Both girls’ school netball teams were beaten by a stronger school this weekend. FM Sushi’s team lost narrowly by three. ("Though you think you did the job wrong/ You did it great.”) I scored the games and tried not to talk so much that my scoring suffered. I wondered what I would write in my review. I thought up things to say in the Cabbage Detectives Interviews. I giggled a lot. I’m going to miss that giggling.

Here is the Discussion Group:

Make sure you visit our "homage", "The Cabbage Detectives (Interviews)":

Oral History

Eighty percent of “TSD” by volume is written in an interview format that reminded me of the first time I ever encountered an oral history (Edie: American Girl, an early biography of Edie Sedgwick).

I was captivated by this style and the book, and still am.

In effect, it was a collective biography of Andy Warhol’s Factory scene, told by insiders, though obviously the focus was Edie.

It was probably assembled from hundreds of interviews, lasting thousands of hours and resulting in millions of words.

Then it was distilled into one book of lasting crystalline beauty.

Studied Movements

I feel the same way about “TSD”.

You would normally expect a biography to be a study of one life lived. This is a study of multiple lives lived to the fullest.

It’s ostensibly about Arturo Belano and Ulises Lima, two alter egos of the author, Roberto Bolano.

However, in contrast to “Edie”, it gives the impression of being more about a fictitious scene (a radical poetry movement called “The Visceral Realists”) than these two individuals who were pivotal in it.

Still, we learn a lot about these two, while listening to the tales and concerns of the interviewees.

It’s interesting that Belano and Lima are not interviewees, although there is no overt suggestion that they, like Edie, were dead at the time.

Those Damned Accretions

It’s customary for the author of an oral history to superimpose a narrative or some kind of chronological or thematic timeline over the top of the interviews.

If there is a thematic structure to the narrative of “TSD”, I am not conscious of it after just one reading.

I don’t really need one to enjoy it. For me, the book is like meeting someone and learning about them spontaneously “over time”, but not necessarily chronologically.

Over time, your knowledge of your friend, together with the detail of your friendship, grows by accretion, as if a whole is growing piece by piece in the hands of some cosmic potter (man!).

So it didn’t really matter to me that the Interviews didn’t seem to be going anywhere obvious, nor did it matter how long the Interviews ended up being in total.

The Anthology of Life

Each interview is a vignette, a portrait. Collectively, they make up pictures at an exhibition.

We walk through the gallery, this pantheon housing the gods of Visceral Realism, observing each work, building an impression of the exhibition as a whole.

Like art works or an anthology of verse, it doesn’t matter what order we experience them in. The important thing is the lasting impression. Does it really matter that we encountered A before B, or B before A?

Measure for Measure

The most important impression is the vitality of the lives we are witnessing, not the sequence; the chaos, not the order.

The experience of reading the book is organic, not mechanical.

Bolano seems to be at odds with measurement. He explores some of these issues in a mock sexual context.

As the pimp Alberto shows us, it’s not the length of a penis that matters, it’s how you use it.

Similarly, it’s arguable that the intensity of an orgasm is more important than its duration, measured, like Dolores, in terms of “one Mississippi, two Mississippi”.

Lastly, the experience of being a poet and writing poetry is about much more than mastering the meter of the verse.

Perhaps, there is no better measure of pleasure than the pleasure itself.

These Things Happen

Similarly, time cannot be measured except in terms of the passage of something else (e.g., distance).

In a way, we’re not here for a long time, just a good time.

Yet, vitality reverberates in motion or movement.

Like Marcel Duchamp’s painting “Nude Descending a Staircase” (which is mentioned in the novel), Bolano depicts a sense of movement in the one frame, the novel as a whole.

description

Both the past and the future are superimposed on and appear in the present.

The passage of time can be observed in the present.

I keep the past alive by remembering it in the present.

I keep the future alive by anticipating it.

If I am alive, I move.

When the movement ceases, so does life.

You are the Stars that Guide Me and Light My Way

Despite my feelings about the absence of narrative structure, I still think there is a meta-structure at work in the novel.

Bolano as author is implicitly present in the narrative as Belano and Lima.

However, the tale is ostensibly told by the interviewees.

The self is defined in terms of the others; just as importantly, the self is defined by the others.

In contrast to Descartes’ maxim, “I think, therefore I am”, there is a social construction of self at work.

“You think of me, therefore I am.”

“I am your experience of me.”

“You are the stars in my cosmos. You are always there, watching me, comforting me. I don’t need a god to give me meaning. I have you.”

“You keep me alive by thinking and writing about me.”

Yet, perhaps the converse is also true: “I keep you alive by thinking and writing about you.”

Revolution and Freedom

Paradoxically, Bolano wrote the whole of the literary vehicle that makes this possible.

What are we to make of this?

Ultimately, literature is a social act, a form of social action.

What characterized the Visceral Poets was not just the fact that they wrote poetry, but that they were socially and politically engaged.

Their “generation all overdosed on Marx and Rimbaud”.

They rebelled against conformity, conservatism and the rigidity of tradition, both literary and political.

They wrote poetry that preserved youth, just as it preserved the present from the ravages of history.

They sought out the marvelous, when all around them was drab.

They resisted death as they resisted the passage of time.

Fiercely Modern

They rejected their own fathers and role models, becoming orphans on the way, not always discovering new fathers, except perhaps in fellow rebels such as Marx, Rimbaud, Trotsky, Gramsci, Lukacs, Althusser.

They found themselves trapped in diffuse labyrinths, so they travelled the world, navigating a sea of possibilities, exploring their spirit of adventure, seeking and finding youth, sex, love, friendship, experience, illumination and eventually death.

Then they realised that they were not alone, that Visceral Realism was not a destination, but just a mask that they wore on their journey toward modernity, that there had been others who sought modernity before them, the writer Borges, and the 20’s poet and mother of the Visceral Realists, Cesarea Tinajero, whose collected works they seek out in the passages that bookend the novel.

A Timeless Threnody

Bolano’s characters, like his own works, maintain a vigil over the body of life, literature and culture that lies dormant in the forgotten province of poets, essayists and professors.

They are a threnody that mourns our predecessors and their achievements, but somehow keeps them alive.

They create a dirge in what would otherwise be a void, a music that challenges silence, a being that defies nothingness.

Just as his characters look to the past, they inspire the future.

They become parents, mothers and fathers who inspire children and followers like the 17 year old Juan Garcia Madero.

They keep value alive and perpetuate it through the ages.

This is what Bolano did for us.

All he asks in return, now that he is dead, is that we do the same for those who follow us.

Quotation:

"The only real voyage consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes; in seeing the universe through the eyes of another, one hundred others--in seeing the hundred universes that each of them sees."

Marcel Proust

Autor! Autor!

How did you do it?
You made me giggle and cry.
Holy Bolaño.

SOUNDTRACK:

Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3 – “Belltown Ramble”

"It's an independent life
And you wanna see your eyes
Reflected in the world.

"You can walk a square
You can walk an oblong
Even just walk straight.

"You'll still be standing there
Though you think you did the job wrong
You did it great."

59 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Savage Detectives.

07/15/2012 page 40
7.0% "I've really enjoyed this so far, especially the underlying sense of humour." 1 comment
07/16/2012 page 60
10.0% "Two things are striking me so far.

This isn't just writing, this is really happening.

Also, this is just one perspective on the world. In the bed next door, in the room downstairs, in the street outside, things are happening there, too.

And the sex scene. Exquisite.

"Tonight make it magnificent. Tonight, make me tonight. Your hair is beautiful."" 2 comments
07/18/2012 page 160
28.0% "Into Part II."
07/20/2012 page 197
34.0% "I lived in my time, I lived in the time I'd chosen and that surrounded me, aquiver, in flux, brimming over, happy."
07/20/2012 page 199
34.0% "I saw a soldier far off in the distance. I saw the outline of an armoured troop carrier or the shadow of an armoured troop carrier...I saw the wind sweeping the university as if it was delighting in the last light of day. And I knew what I had to do. I knew. I knew I had to resist."
07/21/2012 page 217
38.0% "...I told him...there was nothing like travelling and seeing the world, different cities and different skies, and he said the sky was the same everywhere, cities changed but the sky was the same, and I said he was wrong, I told him I didn't believe it..."
07/21/2012 page 221
38.0% "When Belano left,
Masturbatory haiku
Failed to sustain us."
07/21/2012 page 227
39.0% "There was a division of parachutists in the Duce's army called Folgore. A bunch of queers who got their asses kicked by the Australians."
07/23/2012 page 316
55.0% "You have to live your life, that's all there is to it. A drunk I met the other day on my way out of the bar La Mala Senda told me so. Literature is crap." ['La Mala Senda' means the bad path or the wrong track.]"
07/23/2012 page 337
58.0% "Ulises Lima and Pancho Rodriguez [have] fought...Visceral realism is dead...if only you'd been there."
07/23/2012 page 340
59.0% "Their way might have been good or bad, right or wrong, but it was their way of playing politics, of politically influencing reality."
07/23/2012 page 359
62.0% "Do you know what the worst thing about literature is? said Don Pancracio. I knew, but I pretended I didn't."
07/24/2012 page 430
66.0% "...we didn't make love (or maybe not making love was our way of making love..."
07/25/2012 page 451
70.0% "My practice as a lawyer or jurist afforded me sufficient income so that I could devote ample time to the noble art of poetry." 1 comment
show 6 hidden updates…

Mary Thank you for bringing this book and Bolaño to my attention, I've already ordered my second Bolaño book.

Kris Beautiful, perfect review, Ian. I have so many favorite passages, I don't know where to start. Here's one, about the impact of the interviews on you: "I was just delighted to meet this many interesting people, as if it was one long party starting in the afternoon, going full pelt through the night and winding up in the early hours of the morning as the sun of a new day emerged above the horizon." And then your discussion later in "You are the Stars that Guide Me and Light My Way" about the ways that others help to define the self -- such an important point about the social construction of the self. I found the interviews to be compelling and exciting to read, and after reading your review I know some of the reasons why - they capture that sense of excitement and newness in meeting interesting people and staying up all night talking to them. They also depict clearly and realistically the ways that we are created through the way that our friend, family members, and enemies talk about us and remember us. I think this all resonates well with Bolaño's focus on a movement, and a youth movement specifically.

I smiled when I got to your references to Marcel Duchamp. Earlier today, I read an article about the 125th anniversary of his birth (July 28, 1887). A good day to remember him, and Bolaño, and all the people who have shaped us.

message 3: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Thanks, Mary/Kris. I think the stars were all in alignment when that discussion group started. I hope it survives us.

message 4: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Kris, that really blows my mind about Duchamp.

Kris Ian wrote: "Kris, that really blows my mind about Duchamp."

The stars continue to be in alignment. :)

Mary Drag stars?

message 7: by Ian (last edited Jul 29, 2012 12:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Speaking of female stars who are gay icons, wasn't it Greta Garbo who first said, "I want to be aligned"?

message 8: by Bennet (new)

Bennet Ian, that was her character in Grand Hotel. She herself said, "I want to be left aligned."

message 9: by Traveller (last edited Jul 29, 2012 05:08AM) (new) - added it

Traveller My updates aren't working again... or at least, it's not updating my friends' feed properly. Totally missed this review. :(

message 10: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris Bennet wrote: "Ian, that was her character in Grand Hotel. She herself said, "I want to be left aligned.""

Perfect!

message 11: by Traveller (last edited Jul 29, 2012 07:11AM) (new) - added it

Traveller Wonderful, amazing review! Really, really good stuff, thank you so much, Ian! They should actually introduce a rating system for reviews, in which case this is tenner.

There was just one sentence that points at probably a gap in my understanding of Post-modernism. Bolano is working against the post-modern tendency toward solipsism and narcissism.

(I've been trying for the longest time to make clear distinctions between Modernism and Post-modernism, btw, but i'm still struggling with a clear verbal, rational distinction, though i can sorta recognize the difference when i read it;- (I think Post-modernism tends to be more lightly, mischievously playful and metatextual)- perhaps Kris can help me out there).

Modernism is often very emotional and can indeed appear narcissistic and solopsistic, but if i think of Post-modernism, it actually seems more impersonal to me than, for instance, Modernism, which for me can be the genre that appears the most subjective from a narration point of view.

With Modernism, even when the author attempts to show us several different characters' points of view, these points of view are usually shown from an 'emotional' even 'sensual' or sense-oriented point of view, in the sense that it tends to usually be sort of impressionist view.

Post-modernism has always appeared to me to be less so, and in that sense, this specific novel almost appears to me to be more Modernist than Post-modernist.
Please correct me where my impressions have... left the path. :P

(I know that Post-modernism 'officially' started in around the Eighties, but one still has some overlap when it comes to chronology and style.)

message 12: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Thanks, Trav.

Intuitively I agree with your distinctions and their application to TSD.

message 13: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Bennet wrote: "Ian, that was her character in Grand Hotel. She herself said, "I want to be left aligned.""

That was her socialist side manifesting itself?

Magdelanye Traveller wrote: "Wonderful, amazing review! Really, really good stuff, thank you so much, Ian! They should actually introduce a rating system for reviews, in which case this is tenner.

There was just one sentence ..."

for me, the differnce between modern (overly serious,captivated by own viewpoint,generally bleak) and post modern (shifting viewpoints,squeezing a bit of hope out of the bitter rag) is just what you suggest, a sense of the playful, more speculative than dogmatic or self-righteous as the modernist could be. Modernists still somewhat bound by old strucures,in reaction to the old rules. post modern starts out where the rules have been annihalated and makes up its own.

message 15: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff There is an interesting article here:

message 16: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff I kept wondering whether the word "savage" was the best translation of the word in the Spanish title, "Les Détectives Sauvages".

Does anyone know whether it is more like "wild" or "wildcard"?

The overall translation can't be faulted though.

Steve Very insightful, as usual, Ian! I will take exception to one of your early statements, though. After seeing you tackle and absorb Joyce, Gaddis, Pynchon, DFW, and plenty more of the challenging ilk, any putative intimidation you had with this one doesn't seem credible.

The part of your review I paused to ponder most was the "You think of me, therefore I am" bit (and its converse). It's an appealing thought.

message 18: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Thanks, Steve. You're totally right about the intimidation. They only intimidate me in the abstract, until I open the first page and start reading. Then I realise, hey, the're only words, and I'm off.

TSD is actually remarkably easy to read.

The hard part was thinking about it and writing a review.

I'm thinking about you now, so you exist.

BTW, "Cosmopolis" starts here on Thursday, and I've also added "Cloud Atlas" back on to my to-read-soon list.

Steve I was hoping to exist. Thanks, amigo. Likewise, I'm sure.

With the Cloud Atlas movie coming out later this year, it's good seeing the interest in the book, too. This is your 2nd time with that one, isn't it?

message 20: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Steve wrote: "This is your 2nd time with that one, isn't it?"

Yep. I was a bit impatient with it the first time.

message 21: by Traveller (last edited Jul 30, 2012 04:37AM) (new) - added it

Traveller Cloud Atlas is on my short list, but it will have to wait for November. Going to be tackling Joyce's Ulysses yet again then too.

Still got Faulkner's Sound & Fury and some Woolf to finish first, among others.
Not to mention Bulgakov's Master and Margarita..

message 22: by Ian (last edited Jul 30, 2012 12:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Would you like to add Alice in Wonderland to your list?

"A gin and tonic," the Walrus said,
"Is what we chiefly need:
And margaritas on the side
Are very good indeed--
Now, if you're ready, Trav'ler dear,
We can begin to read."

message 23: by Stephen M (last edited Jul 30, 2012 02:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephen M This is such a wonderful review. I, like Steve, loved the parts about keeping others alive through writing.

I currently have the book on order (my library check-out ran up). But now I can't wait to have a copy between my hands and jump back into it. Your review is so helpful in keeping my head in the right place about the book's (non)significance.

message 24: by Traveller (last edited Jul 31, 2012 08:26AM) (new) - added it

Traveller Ian wrote: "Would you like to add Alice in Wonderland to your list?

"

"That, my dear, said Trav with glee
can be stricken from my list you see
I've read that before,
but i don't mind more,
if you so would desire
our Aussie squire"

message 25: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Awesome review, Ian! Or should I say Don Juan?

I agree with all that the others have said about your review and the reading group. And I thank you for bringing the group together, and adding so much creativity to the experience. It has been a wonderful ride for all of us.

And I will definitely never look at a cabbage in quite the same way again!

message 26: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Thanks, Jim. The beauty of the experience is that it has been collaborative. I will never look at a detective the same way.

I'll miss the discussion group. Still, to paraphrase Humphrey Bogart, "We'll always have cabbages."

message 27: by Gabi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabi Dopazo Ian, have only read the first paragraph of your review as I'm about to read the book and need to do it knowing as little as possible. Loved the whole oil ink stain versus water versus oil

message 28: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris Ian, that Proust quote could not be more perfect. Wonderful addition.

message 29: by Ian (last edited Aug 06, 2012 03:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff A lingering doubt for me is the translation of the title and whether the word "savage" could have been "wild" as in "wildcard".

This is tied up in the question of the identity of the Interviewers (see the thread following Mike's excellent review).

Is there only one (e.g., Juan Garcia Madero, who is not one of the Interviewees, but I think is mentioned in the text) or plural Interviewers?

If the Interviewers are the Detectives investigating the crime, are they The Savage Detectives?

If so, why were they still interviewing so much later? Why did they allow Interviewees to ramble about things beyond the crime they were investigating?

Besides I'm not sure there needs to be an Interviewer or Interviewers at all.

Were these people just spontaneously relating events contemporaneously or subsequently, as in accessing their memories and the Legend that they had collectively constructed.

The book might have been an anthology of these collected memories, in a way similar to the poetic thoughts of the people in the Wim Wenders film "Wings of Desire" that the Angels in the film could overhear.

Perhaps the anthology is the work of Angels. Perhaps we are the Angels?

I started to think that Legend is a collective endeavour, and that all of our memories (I mean the memories of all of us) contribute to the Legend, like a collective consciousness.

In a way, the Book might be an exercise in Time itself organising itself, sifting out the gold relating to the Visceral Realists in the pan of collective memory.

The sifting process doesn't care in what order the golden memories were found, it's just finding them and placing them on the table for us to use as the ore of some larger refining process.

The participants and audience are all part of the process of creating and perpetuating the Legend (including us readers).

Is Time a Savage Detective in that, just as it preserves some evidence, it destroys other evidence?

Is there an analogy with Shelley's Ozymandias who thought his creations and legends could defeat the passage and ravages of time?

Perhaps the Savage Detectives of destructive Time are a negative force, they work against memory, they are what we are fighting against in trying to preserve Memories and Legends.

Perhaps our effort to perpetuate memory and therefore [our version of] civilisation is futile, like that of Ozymandias?

"Finally the Work journeys irremediably alone in the Great Vastness. And one day the Work dies, as all things must die and come to an end: the Sun and the Earth and the Solar System and the Galaxy and the farthest reaches of man's memory. Everything that begins as comedy ends in tragedy."

So for me, I'm not certain whether Time is a savage detective that destroys memories or we are detectives who wildly seek it out, trying to extend "the farthest reaches of man's memory" and defeat "the Great Vastness".

message 30: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Here is Mike's review and thread:

Here is a group discussion with respect to the issue:

message 31: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris As I am also still thinking through the questions you posed in #29, I am going to re-read TSD to see what I can come up with re. the title, the identity of the interviewers and the purpose of the interviews, etc. I had a feeling I wasn't finished with TSD yet!

message 32: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 I get more and more group read envy every time i read another review of Bolano's book. Sounds like it was great.

message 33: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff The reading (and in many cases, the re-reading) goes on.

message 34: by Hend (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hend Amazing review !
and i LOVED the quote,thanks.

Marcel Proust

message 35: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Thanks, Hend. I was wondering where you'd been.

message 36: by Hend (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hend Ian wrote: "Thanks, Hend. I was wondering where you'd been."

That is so sweet of u Ian that you noticed my absence...
I was at the beach watching sunset everyday;)

Magdelanye why is everyone so ready to move on?
I still not finished reading all the threads,having got spectacularily distracted by those cabbage heads

havent even been to the beach yet

message 38: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris Magdelanye wrote: "why is everyone so ready to move on?

havent even been to the beach yet"

I'm not ready to move on at all! I'm just back to work from vacation, but I'm planning to do more posting when I get through tomorrow's work day.

Magdelanye oh goody
I have been super busy and not awake enough when I get home to do much these last few weeks, but there are some points I want to bring out, if they are not covered.
Of course, I was counting on a normal day off on Friday, but I have just been hired for a days work on an apocalyptic movie that day, and its prison justice day August 1O in the evening, so sat morn now.

I want another 6 hours in my day!

message 40: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris I agree!!

message 41: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Hend wrote: "I was at the beach watching sunset everyday;)"

message 42: by Hend (last edited Aug 09, 2012 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hend Ian wrote: "Hend wrote: "I was at the beach watching sunset everyday;)"

Ha, where I live, you can only watch the sun rise at the beach (unless you turn away from the ocean)."

really?
first time to know this.I can't imagine it,would it be because the sun rises in the east?
I am sure at Australia sunrises views are Wonderful.

message 43: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Klappenskoff Everything is the reverse in the southern hemisphere, Hend ;)

message 44: by Lynne (last edited May 03, 2013 05:18AM) (new) - added it

Lynne King I'm just stumbled across this review Ian. It is beautiful...

Darwin8u Ian, I'm pissed I missed your group.
My timing has always been poop.
I will look at your notes and reviews
But being late surely gives me the blues.

message 46: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars