Sammy's Reviews > The Secret Life of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Jun 12, 07

bookshelves: a-the-best
Read in January, 2005

Ahhh! *gasp* *choke* *stammer* I can barely find the words to say how much I loved this book. Honestly, The Secret Life of Bees has to be one of the best books I've read in a while. I just want to give it several A+'s and a kiss!

It was touching, well-written, beautiful, full of expression, insightful, anything you could want in a book and then some. It started off with a bang, that wasn't a bang... it grabbed you, but didn't startle you so much that the rest of the book was dull in comparison. There was romance, love, family, racial issues, religious experiences, and bees.

I have a feeling the title may deter a lot of people thinking that, oh, it's a book about bees! Well, there is a lot mentioned about bees, but it only helps enrich the story. With elements in the bees lives that tied in nicely with the lives of Lily Owens and the bee keeping sisters. All the characters are full and developed, except for the asshole racists in the very beginning of the book and somewhere in the middle, but even then real life racists aren't full and developed either. I'm sorry if you're a racist and you're reading this, but... well, fuck off. Mwa ha ha ha!

The only problem I had with this book was that I wished it was longer... but I think it was the perfect length. Nothing dragged out and nothing cut too short. Like little bears porridge, chair, and bed, it was perfect! I'm not surprised their making a movie out of it... I just hope that most people read the book before going to see it, because if they mess it up in the movie, that could deterr a lot of people from reading this wonderful book. And typically books are better than movies, because there's more and you have more freedom for thought. I also want them to cast me. *wink wink*

Sue Monk Kidd mentioned about possibly writing a sequel, possibly after she finishes writing her current work in progress The Mermaid Chair (which, if she continues writing like she did in this book, I will gobble up as soon as it comes out). I hope she doesn't write a sequel though, because The Secret Life of Bees can truely stand on it's own. And I'm sure as much as many people want to read more about Lily Owens and the Daughters of Mary, I think it will be hard for the second novel to live up to the expectations the first one made. This book may make it hard for Sue Monk Kidd... but if her writing continues to be as stellar as the writing in this book... she will have a fan base almost as big as J.K. Rowling. Potter-heads note the word almost.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Bees.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Duc (new) - added it

Duc Ahaha...yet another excellent review. I had seen the Mermaid Chair on a Lifetime movie with mention Sue Kid Monk. btw like her name, Then I thought maybe the book was like a lifetime movie formula. But I remember hearing 'secret life of bees' before the lifetime movies. Bees have been an analogy for numerous books. Currently, Bee metaphor appear in the book I'm reading 'Castle in the Forest'. Bees are compared to the protagonist's promiscuous love life. He goes from flower to flower gathering nectars and feed on love of women.

Mary Taitt VERY NICE REVIEW! (I was getting panicky about all the negative ones!)

Kolleen I AGREE. I can't find enough great things to say about this story. Lily and May have left such a lasting impression on me, I feel as if I knew them in my own life. I also loved the connections to the bee society through out the story. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. Did you see the movie?

Mary Taitt A good review about a wonderful book.

Mary Taitt YAY!

Wunnea A wonderful review! I agree wholeheartedly!

message 7: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. AGREED!

message 8: by Pooja (new)

Pooja Excellent book. Highly recommended

Victoria Couldn't agree more! A fantastic review. Just love love loved this book!

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Knakal i have seen the movie at the movie rental stores. Is it a good book for a 15 yr old girl to be reading? Thanks:)

message 11: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise Horne A great review for a great book! Pleas read if you never have.

message 12: by Johanna (new) - added it

Johanna Ramkissoon excellent review. i love this book which surprised me becuase this book i normally read actions. the only disappointing part about it was how quickly it finished. i wanted more

Howard Koor Sensational review! All you say is right. I am half way through this book and I never want it to end. What a touching story. This book is a treasure.

message 14: by Ultimate (new)

Ultimate YA This was one of my favorite books and this is a great review!

Howard Koor What a special book that sends me dreaming...

message 16: by Anand (new) - rated it 1 star

Anand this book was trash I would rather use the pages as kindling

Howard Koor Love this book! It really cast a spell on me. Universal and specific. A vivid sense of place and rich almost mythological characters.