Toni's Reviews > The Lake of Dreams

The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards

F 50x66
Feb 26, 11

Read in February, 2011

This book held my interest. It does try to cover a multitude of ideas-families, siblings, women's suffragette,the Vietnam War, stained glass manufacturing and history, American Indian rights, ecology and women's place in religion.Basically, it works,but perhaps there were just a few too many points that the author was trying to make. The story of Rose was my favorite part and what kept me reading. Lucy 's story bothered me a little- I empathized with her feelings of loss and guilt at the death of her father however -she more or less ran away from her family after that and traveled the world and did important work but then 5 years later she comes home and more or less forces her family to dance to her tune.Believe in her beliefs with little compromise on her part .She rarely even tried to understand her brother or mother and how their lives changed over those years. She wanted to be able to run but leave them in vacuum where they could not change. I also really liked Dr.Rev. Suzi - very likeable character as was Keegan Fall. I would recommend it even though I felt the ending a little rushed- or perhaps when you think it occurred and resolved in a 2 week period- the whole event 's timing was a little unbelievable.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lake of Dreams.