AH's Reviews > A Rush of Wings

A Rush of Wings by Adrian Phoenix

May 05, 11

bookshelves: own, sos-bookshelf-bingo, urban-fantasy, angels, first-in-series, zzread-april-2011
Read from April 10 to 14, 2011 — I own a copy

A Rush of Wings had the potential to be a totally awesome paranormal novel: It was set in New Orleans, which in my opinion is the perfect place for things that go bump in the night. The main character Dante is the lead singer for a goth/punk rock band called Inferno, so there is a cool factor there. It also has some interesting lore with vampires, Fallen angels, and other nightkind. There is even something for the conspiracy theorists to love, with shady government organizations that create and experiment upon psychotic killers.

Does it work? Yes and no. I did enjoy the book, though it took me a few tries to get into it. I liked the concept of the nightkind, and how the vampires communicated. I liked that Dante was a comparatively young vampire, only in his early twenties, unlike other vampire stories where the vampires are very old and set in their ways. Dante’s youth allowed him to have some vampire attitude. Dante’s powers were not fully developed, so he discovered his abilities as he went along. The heroine of the story is an interesting character. Heather is not your typical FBI agent. In fact, she doesn’t really seem to act as an agent at all. She seemed to follow her heart and her instincts more.

I did enjoy how Dante’s powers were described like he was creating beautiful music.

A few things did not work for me. There were constant flashbacks and point of view shifts that were a little confusing for me. My husband laughed at the cover of the book after I complained that Heather never did dress like that. I also found that the book ended a little abruptly for me.

All in all, I enjoyed this book. It’s a good start to the Maker’s song series. I plan to read the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rush of Wings.

04/11/2011 page 6
1.0% "Hmm...having a hard time getting into this one. I keep getting distracted." 5 comments
04/11/2011 page 69
17.0% "OK. I am now getting into this story. I keep wanting to correct the Cajun french, LOL." 13 comments
04/13/2011 page 175
42.0% "I'm liking this. I still don't know what to make of Dante and Lucien. Heather seems too easily influenced by Dante." 10 comments
04/14/2011 page 343
82.0% "E is seriously demented. He belongs on an episode of Criminal Minds: Paranormal crimes."
04/14/2011 page 416
100.0% "That was a little bit of an abrupt ending. I wanted more."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie I've heard good things about this series. I'm quite curious to see what you'll ultimately think of it. :)

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I'm enjoying it, despite the inconsistencies. I'm just in that frame of mind.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Awesome review!!

I look forward to hearing what you think about the next book. Is it out?

It sounds like a cool idea for a book but if it took you a while to get into it then I probably wouldn't dig it.

HAHAS! I think by law all husbands have to make fun of book covers like that ;)

What's really funny is when they loook at them for long periods of time. Mine does that.

Laura the Highland Hussy I loved this one, but I find I'm reluctant to move on in the series...I think it's like what happened with Scent of Shadows for me-I really need to be in a different mood for some books.

Great review :)

And I totally agree-Heather dressed like Agent Scully of the X Files, not like Cat from Night Huntress

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Thanks, Greta and Laurie.

Yup, the hubs giggling at book covers. Happens a lot at my house.

Laurie - I finished the second book and I enjoyed it. It had a better flow than this book.

Scent of Shadows - that was a tough book to like. You had to get through the first 2/3 for the exciting end. Then you get sucked into the next book.