Christine's Reviews > Blood Born

Blood Born by Linda Howard

Feb 26, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, romance

I see this book is getting some less than enthusiastic reviews, and maybe if you're a die-hard vampire romance lover you'll have a different perspective, but I liked it. I didn't read this book because of the vampirse, though. Actually, I was surprised to see that Linda Howard had written a vampire book. I've read at least a dozen of her books, few of which have a paranormal element, and when they do, it's pretty minor. I was curious when I saw this one, especially since I have grudgingly found a few tolerable vampire stories.

It wasn't great. The beginning of this book is very info-dumpy, reminding me a bit of a scifi or fantasy author new to the genre who hasn't yet developed the knack of trickling information in organically. Since she's an established author I stayed with her and trusted her.

I also found the multiple viewpoints to be a bit distracting. I understood why she did it, because she's obviously setting up a bigger world than just the hero and heroine. Though I'm used tot hinking of Linda Howard's books as romance, in this book it was a less important plot element than usual.

I did like her vampires. Unlike many other vampires out there, hers are warm-blooded and have a heartbeat. She's disposed of the idea that a wooden stake is required to kill one, only complete destruction of the head or heart. I also liked the idea that the reason vampirse can't get into a person's home is because of a spell a witch cast hundreds of years ago, something the vampirse are now trying to undo. I also liked the idea that rarely, vampires can reproduce.

If you're a die-hard vampire fan, I'm not sure what you'll think of this, but if you like Linda Howard, I'd give this a try. It's not quite like her other stuff, so bear that in mind if you've never read her before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Born.