Sammy's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Jun 12, 07

bookshelves: a-the-best
Read in December, 2004

Obviously, by the grade I gave it, you can tell I loved this book. Honestly this has been one of the best books I've ever read and it has now been added on to my mental list as one of my favorites.

I'm not genuinely one for love stories unless they take part in a bigger picture, they're well written, and aren't cheesey and vomit worthy. This book was none of these. Slowly, carefully, and as non-mind boggling as possible the beautiful romance of Clare and Henry begins.

This book will make you exclaim in surprise, cry, laugh, and be happy for certain events that take place even though you knew in advanced what was going to happen in certain cases. It's amazing how tied into the characters you become and how you feel for both of them.

It was the time-travel aspect of the story that really pulled me in. It's written so realistically that I wouldn't be surprised if people out there really did time-travel. Maybe it seems so much more real because it was written out as sort of a curse rather than a blessing, because you can't change anything in the past, which would be the one thing you desire to do. You realize you can't tell a lot of people things because it may ruin free will or surprises for others. Also you have no control of when and where you're going to or from. Plus, you appear naked, because anything that's not part of your body... doesn't travel with you.

The book is so circular too, rather than linear. Within moments, within situations, and within the entire arc... circle... of the story. A lot of times it makes you go, "Well, how does that work? I don't get it! But it does! Ah!!!" For example, if Clare never gave Henry a book of dates she wrote down for him to memorize, he never would have been able to tell her the dates to write down in the book... yeah, a lot of times it's like that, lol.

There is so much more I want to say about this book, but I'm afraid of giving too much away. This story is beautiful, moving, amusing, and new. A smooth moving blend of past, present, and future as well as switching between Clare's perspective and Henry's, the story is surprisingly easy to follow. One of my favorites now, I'm sure it will be one of yours.
1 like · flag