Lewis Buzbee's Reviews > The Girl Who Became a Beatle

The Girl Who Became a Beatle by Greg Taylor

Feb 26, 11

I loved this book. What could have been a trite send-up of celebrity becomes in Taylor's funny, swift prose, a very moving, inventive, and deep look at how we decide who we are. In this case, it's Regina Bloombsbury, whose high school basement band The Caverns is on the verge of breaking up. So, she makes a wish, to be as famous as The Beatles, and, thanks to a wonderfully deadpan Fairy Godmother, ends up in a universe where Regina's band has replaced The Fab Four. She has a week to decide whether or not she's going to stay in this world, and the pressures on her come from all side--parents, friends, agents, fans. I don't want to give away any of the great twists that Taylor pulls out of his magic hat--and there are many, and all surprising--so let me just say that Taylor has a keen ear for Regina's voice and thinking, and there's not one dull page in here. Whether you're a teen reader or not, this is a terrific book--great imagination, great heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Became a Beatle.