Laurie's Reviews > Emotional Intelligence 2.0

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry

Mar 07, 11

Read from February 26 to March 06, 2011

I really wish I had read this book in high school and better yet had a course in it. It would have saved me a lot of grief. As a society, we need to teach children how to deal with emotions. I wish I had not taken it out of the library because the code in the back only works for one person. So, I was not able to take the EQ (Emotional Intelligence)test. I may need to buy the book.

I loved it all, but I have picked out my favorite parts of each section:

Self Awareness Strategies:

1. Ask others for feedback about how you handle your emotions and listen carefully to what they say.
2. Weekly or bi-weekly take stock of your life and write down situations that you didn't deal with well and then list which quality that you wanted to honor but didn't. For example:
Honesty is the quality and then write down a situation that I didn't handle well where I wasn't completely honest. The next time a situation like this comes up, I might deal with it differently because I will remember the list.

Self Management Strategies:

1. To prepare for change, make a list of things in my life that could possibly change and write down ideas for how I could deal with that. I really enjoyed doing this and it really has been helpful.

Social Awareness Strategies:

1. Become a great observer. Learn how to sense the mood of a room and check to see if your observations are correct.
1. Listen. Listen. Listen. Don't interrupt.

Relationship Management Strategies:

1. Use these phrases more: "I am sorry." "Please" "Thank You"

Fabulous book. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emotional Intelligence 2.0.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Barbara  Luxford I'm taking note of those self awareness strategies and incorporating them into my life, yes, very eye opening