Katie's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: 2011-debut-author-challenge, school-reading-2011-2012
Read from December 08 to 11, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a startling tale that's filled with mystery, intrigue and quite a bit of quirkiness.

But I wasn't blown away like I expected to be. To me The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a good book, but one that just didn't live up to all the hype. I know many, many people love this book, so don't hate me when I say that it just wasn't my favorite book.

The thing that irked me the most was the plot, it was also my favorite part of the book. The plot is fast-paced and addicting. It was filled with so many twists and turns that I could hardly wrap my head around them all. But there was just so much craziness and so much random stuff. Somethings just rubbed me the wrong way.

Mara was definitely a character I could sympathize with. She'd gone through so much and just the thought that she was still standing amazed me. Mara was definitely a plus to the story. But Noah, dear Noah sort of creeped me out. He was one interesting character, and that's all I'm going to say. I guess I just didn't fall for his charms. He and Mara did have a nice romance, though.

The ending blew me away. The cliffhanger is so major that it literally redefines cliffhangers. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited for the next one, no matter how weird it is.

Even though I didn't love this one as much as others it was still a good read that definitely managed to surprise and enchant me.

Rating: 3-4 stars. Vague, I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Megan AMAZING. :D

ashley whitmore Love this book so much!!

message 3: by Katie (last edited Dec 09, 2011 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katie I'm so glad to know that it's awesome! I'm loving it so far!