Allison's Reviews > The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith

The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller

Mar 02, 11

bookshelves: reread, spirituality
Read from February 26 to March 02, 2011

I think there is some merit to the claim that Keller is the C.S. Lewis of the the 21st century (now all he needs to do is write good children's book or two). In fact, I was close to giving this book 5 stars, but something stopped me... the book ended. I felt the book was a chapter short. There was a good introduction and a good exposition of the parable of the Prodigal Son. He even went past the strictly scholarly retelling and explained how the story was the gospel in a nutshell and reminded the reader of how that should transform their life. That is, he gave the reason it should and some signs that it was not, but he failed to suggest ways to begin to make the change happen. was so jarring that I am beginning to think that it was on purpose. Of course, I could have missed them, or I could be so used to people saying do a, b, and c and you'll be a Christian, which he was obviously speaking against. Regardless, my first instinct is that I would have liked some pointers on where to start on a practical level.

From this point of view it may be a book you want to read in a group so you can discuss it. It is a relatively quick and flowing read (I can't call it easy because it's subject matter deals with the heart and therefore is not)and it is not technical at all.

Overall I definitely recommend it, but prepare to be challenged.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prodigal God.

03/01/2011 page 83