Mike's Reviews > Mona Lisa Overdrive

2201886
Feb 26, 2011

Recommended for: Everyone
read count: 1 (maybe 2)

Yes, that's not a mistake, I gave "Mona Lisa Overdrive" a full "5.0" when I left "Count Zero" at a theoretical smidge below (but used the "4" in goodreads stars). That's not because (as I explained in the "CZ" review) "Count Zero" was not good, it just didn't surpass "Neuromancer". Subjective as charged, but that's my version and my review :-)

I remember being surprised at how Gibson extended the "world" of his world with this book and being impressed by that. The writing stayed crisp, precise and at his high level of imagery and characterization, but he (at least I thought so) went out on a limb in the story and the plotting. Instead of creating another cookie-cutter trilogy (or longer-logy) he shifted the already familiar and comfortable world to push the boundary even if it was a risk that some readers would not approve. He's the author, we are the readers. I thought it was a great book and say so here. You should read his entire oeuvre (at least N, CZ, & MLO) in order to appreciate how he developed his theme and skill.

(If you think MLO was a departure, read the next novel that he co-authored with Bruce Sterling.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mona Lisa Overdrive.